Thursday 29 October 2009

You are not alone...

I know blogs are meant to be written on the go, sitting in airports and cafes with your laptop. Well I didn't have my laptop with me yesterday and instead I wrote this in my notebook at the time...
I'm sitting having a coffee in Borders in Glasgow. I know it's Starbucks and I would usually go to an independent coffee house but it's a monsoon outside. Torrential rain but warm and this is the closest option to spend time before my meeting. The cool thing about this is that the coffee shop bit is on a balcony and I'm overlooking the books and Paperchase. A scone, a coffee and a view of Paperchase. Not a bad way to kill half an hour. Now some folk are in for a gift or a card. something specific. Several of those walking around are clearly 'one of us'. Picking up notebooks. Opening them up, touching the paper lightly and almost tenderly. They don't need another notebook. Not really. They put it back, then pick up anther notebook the don't need, going through the same looking, opening, touching, putting back routine. It's quite quiet and a couple of staff members are tidying up the shelves, getting in the way, blocking the route to another notebook. Then I notice to my right there is a stationery section separate to Paperchase. More general supplies. I'm nearly finished my coffee and I know don't need another notebook. know it. I still have time to kill though and I'm thinking
'Have I got all the right pens. Perhaps I need some different colours..'

This is what I ended up buying....


2 comments:

Inkthusiasm said...

Wow! very well written. I could see that entire scenario, as I've lived it numerous times. I think as bloggers and above that, writers, journalers or to a greater audience, we are apt to people watch. How many times have you seen an everyday situation and feel weird that you will know nothing of that person's life, other then what you've just witnessed. Perhaps I'm alone in this but I simply adore the everyday event. It sounds like your balcony nest is a perfect spot.

Superpooky said...

Why thank you for your kind comments. Everyday events define us, what could be more special.